During the day, Jason and I met up with Angela, who took us to "Hido-no-sato". It's a collection of old Japanese houses filled with memorabilia from days long past. There were even older Japanese craftsmen working some old trades like the weaving loom and handmade woven sandals.
I feel fortunate to have meet all of Jason's friends in the JET program. It's because of them that I've been having such an unforgettable time these first few days. I definitely wouldn't have had such a crazy Halloween night without their company, and a generous helping of a mysterious drink called "chu-hai".

We ended up going to a dance club and somehow I won a prize for my costume. I can't imagine why. There were a few girls there that were much prettier than me. My prize was a water bottle of all things. No trip to Japan would be complete without a trip to the Karaoke bar. Unfortunately no one told me that it was miles away. Even more unfortunate was the fact that the boots I wore were two sizes too small. I ended up foregoing footwear and walking almost the whole way barefoot.
The Queens Court is the main Karaoke establishment here. I must say there are some pretty talented people living in Takayama.
And thanks to the generosity of my new favorite Canadian, Carl, I had a warm futon to sleep on that night. And, boy did I sleep.

No comments:
Post a Comment