Friday, November 6, 2009

Japan Day 3

November is National Novel writing month. If you aspire to write a book you go to the website and sign up. You're supposed to write a certain number of words a day and at the end of the month you have yourself a first draft of a novel. I thought about signing up but I guess it's just as well that I didn't. I do plan on writing about my experiences in the Army because I think that's a pretty interesting story. But this trip is turning out to be very active for me.

Woke up late from the Halloween festivities of the night before and went out to eat with some of my new english teacher friend types. I like Japanese food alright. But I'm definitely used to the variety offered in the States. Apparently fruit is a high priced commodity here and I just can't get by without it. Food is definitely my biggest expense here.

Found out about a little get together outside of Takayama in a small village. another relaxing night with the English teacher group. It gets cold real quick in the mountain areas and with that came some snow during the night. It frosted the upper part of the hills and made a beautiful vista to wake up to. A few of us took a hike in the morning to check it out. Later that day I went with Jen and Josh to another village festival. We met one of Josh's fellow teachers, an older Japanese woman who lived in a 100 year old traditional Japanese home. Her Husband was out back chopping wood (like ya do). Being the helpful American that I was I wanted to help split some logs. He gave me a sledge hammer and a splitter. I gave the splitter a few wacks and on one I miss the splitter with the head of the hammer and instead hit it with the neck, breaking it clean off. I felt so bad and, of course, they were very polite and said that it was okay. I'm sure it wasn't but what are you gonna do.

The festival was in the town of Nyukawa and reminded me of a farmers market. Lots of locally grown vegetables and hand made crafty things. They had a stage show with some power ranger looking guys battling it out for the kids. Lots of fried food and corn on a stick. They also had a huge bowl that I think they use for mass soup cooking. But it wasn't in use at that time.

I was feeling a little run down so Jen and I parted ways with Josh and went to her place to take naps.

I guess we missed some good downhill grass sledding that Josh participated in but you can't win them all. Jen took me that night to a cafe on a hill overlooking Takayama. A couple of her fellow English teachers were there and I eventually found myself in a political discussion. I guess it's inevitable no matter where you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment