Monday, November 2, 2009

Japan Day 1


I arrived at around 2 in the afternoon at Nagoya Airport, which is roughly central japan. I was still reeling from the buzz of actually being in Japan. The train station attendants were really helpful and most spoke a little English. I called Angela and she told me which tickets to buy. I had to get to the main Nagoya station from the airport to pick up my JR (Japan Rail) pass. the main terminal was huge! I was a little lost. Being a foreigner is weird. I felt like I could just walk up and ask anybody where to go. But the JR rail offices are everywhere. I found a map of the station and knew enough to ask where something was. One office attendant drew me a map and pointed me in the right direction(I better do a lot of train traveling to get my moneys worth out of that JR pass). I hopped on a train and got into Takayama after dark around 7. To my surprise Jason was there to meet me. I was even more surprised to see him driving. They drive on the opposite side in Japan and Jason had only been in country for the JET program 3 months. It was really good seeing Jason again. It's so funny how life works out. Friends and family are so spread out and yet you find ways of coming together. Jason took me to a Korean BBQ and introduced me to his fellow English teachers Carl, Kyle, Annie, (British) Josh, and Tom. I was reminded of when I tried to apply for the JET program. I think I filled out the application wrong and they sent it back. I was lazy back then and didn't even try to send it back. I should have.
Maybe I can again.

I got to stay the night at Jason's apartment south of Takayama. We stayed up until 3 am reminiscing and looking at Jason's 3000 digital cat posters. good times.

I can't believe how beautiful it is here. I'm so glad I decided to come here in the fall. The leaves are changing colors and Takayama is in the country so there's lots of older looking traditional houses about and the mountains surround everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment